Library and Archive
The library and archive is accessible, by appointment only, to researchers. The library is only available for reference purposes and it does not lend.
Material and information you can expect to find
- History of the Collection from its formation in 1811 to the present day, including selected correspondence and papers relating to the Alleyn, Cartwright, Bourgeois and Fairfax Murray bequests; Ralph Cockburn, Stephen Denning, Henry Yates Thompson, Anthony Blunt, Sir Gerald Kelly, Polish Diplomats, notable art historians and public figures.
- Dossiers and conservation files for each work in the Collection.
- Interpretation materials from 1814 onwards, including early Collection catalogues.
- Architectural drawings by Charles Barry Jr, E.S. Hall, H.S. Goodhart-Rendel and Austin Vernon & Partners.
- Visitors books 1869-1940.
- Student copyist books.
- Press cuttings 1811-2000.
- Governors’ Minutes / Picture Gallery Committee Minutes 1858-1995.
- Ralph Cockburn’s Album of Aquatints.
- Documents and correspondence regarding the Gallery’s relationship with the Royal Academy.
- Special holdings of historical interest, i.e. entrance tickets, regulations leaflets, handouts, events invitations, permissions to copy, etc.
If you wish to use the library and archive please contact Henrietta Ward - firstname.lastname@example.org