Privacy & Sustainability
Your privacy is important to us. To protect your privacy we provide this notice to explain our online information practices and the choices you can make about the way information about you is collected and used.
The Information We Collect
This notice applies to all information collected or submitted on Dulwich Picture Gallery's website.
What We Use It For
- We use the personal information you give us as a research tool to develop the content of the Collection's website, to develop our understanding of our visitors and to determine how best to serve them. We may use the information to provide you with details of the Gallery's services and for this reason each screen that asks for data gives you the opportunity to opt out of receiving such data.
- We use return e-mail addresses to answer the e-mails we receive. Such addresses are not used for any other purpose and are not shared with outside parties, unless you have ticked a box on the enquiry form that requests further information.
- We will not send your data to third parties and we will not send data to areas where an adequate data protection policy is not in place.
Information Collected Automatically
- The website collects some anonymous information about you automatically as you move through the site. This information is used to help us monitor how you and other visitors use the site, allowing us to provide an improved service throughout the site. The information collected automatically does not, however, contain anything that can identify you personally. We use Google Analytics to audit traffic on our website.
Our Commitment to Data Security
- To prevent unauthorised access, maintain data accuracy and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
- How You Can Access or Correct Your Information
- You can access all your personal identifiable information that we collect online and maintain by contacting the website manager. You can correct factual errors in your personally identifiable information by sending us a request that credibly shows error.
- To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identify before granting access and making corrections.
- This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. Nothing contained in this message shall be construed as binding the Dulwich Picture Gallery to any appointment, engagement or purchase of goods or services, which in all circumstances must be the subject of an executed agreement or valid purchase order.
- E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with the Dulwich Picture Gallery by e-mail is taken to accept these risks. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the individual author and do not necessarily represent those of the Gallery.
- Please consider the environmental impact if you print out this email on paper
The term ‘sustainability’ includes the natural, built, economic and social environments of Dulwich Picture Gallery
- Dulwich Picture Gallery recognises its sustainability obligations to its Trustees, staff, visitors, Friends of Dulwich Picture Gallery, local community and stakeholders – both locally and globally – and to current and future generations.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery aims to take a leading role in defining best sustainability practice, and will set its own appropriate and demanding standards where none exist.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery is committed to implementing the requirements of all relevant sustainability legislation and regulations and where possible, exceed any relevant minimum requirements which do not negatively affect its particular environmental requirements which fundamentally aim to protect the masterpieces in its care.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery will manage activities over which it has control and which impact upon its various ‘environments’ in accordance with the principles of sustainable development.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery aims to raise the sustainability awareness of its staff, visitors, Friends of Dulwich Picture Gallery, local community and stakeholders by promoting the concept of sustainable development and by openly recognising the on-going need to move towards a more sustainable future.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery will monitor its use of natural resources, both non-renewable and renewable, and maximise the efficiency and effectiveness with which they are used, with a view to minimising environmental impacts.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery will foster and promote research and education in sustainability – for visitors, within its communities and via liaison with its architects, by raising its objectives in its publications and internet activities.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery will provide appropriate sustainability training and development for its staff, and will encourage them to apply sound sustainability practices at work, at home and within the wider community. It also encourages its staff to join appropriate sustainability working groups to the further their knowledge and education.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery is committed to transparency in, and public access, to the formulation and implementation of its Sustainability Policy and objectives. Dulwich Picture Gallery will formulate, publish, implement and monitor objectives set out in the overall Policy, and will periodically review their efficiency and promote their continued development.
- The Sustainability Policy of Dulwich Picture Gallery will be applicable to all its activities and staff should understand and adhere as much as possible and practicable, the guidance set out below
Guidance for Staff at Dulwich Picture Gallery
- Sustainability principles should guide Dulwich Picture Gallery’s day-to-day operations and its role and impact on the community. Thought should be given to any new activities which may be improved by reflection upon sustainability principles
- Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own particular needs whatever they might be. Staff are encouraged to think beyond satisfying the immediate need and be aware of the impact of their decision on the future of the gallery
Use of Resources
- Dulwich Picture Gallery aims to contribute towards a sustainable community by encouraging staff to purchase goods and services that cause the least harm to the environment. Measures will be taken to reduce our consumption in the gallery of non-renewable resources/ A framework to record and assess water, gas and electricity consumption, and waste produced
- Energy and water usage in all our activities should be restricted and care should be taken to promote procedures which do not adversely increase consumption.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery re-uses and recycles gallery waste as much as is possible or practicable e.g. glass, paper, cardboard, exhibition boards (mdf) plastic coverings and protection etc.
- Where feasible, the gallery uses recycled and renewable products from local sources
- Dulwich Picture Gallery uses Fair Trade products for items, which cannot normally be sourced locally, such as tea and coffee.
Transport and Pollution issues
Dulwich Picture Gallery ensures, where practical, that its activities minimize the use of chemicals which are harmful to the environment
- The Gallery will not knowingly use suppliers that do not adhere to sustainable principles which includes the unnecessary use of plastic packaging on products delivered to the Gallery
- The gallery will encourage staff and volunteers to walk, cycle and use public transport and car share schemes for commuting and other work related activities, bearing in mind the special needs of disabled people. Cycle racks are available.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery will favour, where feasible, the use of local companies and suppliers. This will reduce the need to travel and will importantly help with re-generation of the Southwark borough
- Dulwich Picture Gallery provides an inspiring environment for people to meet and socialise.
- The Gallery will continue to meet its Diversity targets and ensure accessibility to all
- Dulwich Picture Gallery will build upon its disabled access and be socially Inclusive
- Dulwich Picture Gallery promotes equal opportunities both with staff, volunteers, suppliers and visitors (see the Gallery Equal Opportunities Policy)
- Staff and volunteers are supported in training and life - long learning
Dulwich Picture Gallery Collection
- Dulwich Picture Gallery will manage its art collection for future generations by continuing acquisitions, conservation and documentation of works to the highest of standards with long term liabilities in mind
- The Gallery will abide by best practice standards recommended by the Museums Association and act ethically in collecting
- The Gallery will use its best endeavours to achieve a balance between the conservation of its masterpieces and its responsibilities to the environment
Dulwich Picture Gallery is continually looking into ways to improve upon its sustainable policy. It will share knowledge and learn from those who adhere to best practice within the Museum and Gallery world.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or concerns about our sustainability policy, please contact us.